Usher: Deak, what criteria does a pastor use to measure accountability with the flock?
Deacon: Five I can think of:
1. Daily Bible reading
2. Weekly church attendance at a “regular” church.
3. Individual commitment to one “local church” body (aka – ‘church membership’).
4. Individual financial giving of, “tithes,” to the, “local church,”.
5. Each individual Christian man or woman should be, “in submission to a pastor,” to whom he or she is spiritually, “accountable.”
Usher: How about if I blow some holes in those?
1. Does reading the bible mean you can comprehend it? 35,000 denominations tells me there are more than a few ways to interpret that best seller known as the Holy Bible.
2. Perfect attendance = perfect christian? Tell me how many people you see in church every week you’d trust with 10 bucks, let alone your spiritual walk?
3. Church membership = good christian? How about if I belong to Rev. Wright’s church – that worked real good for Obama….
4. We’ve written on the subject of tithing enough to prove this one is surely questionable….if not absolutely non-biblical!
5. What if I’m accountable to Richard Roberts? Does having a great golf game have anything to do with my relationship with Christ? How about if I’m accountable to Kenny Copeland – Does a fat bank account and lots of trips/vacations with Kenny in his 20 million dollar jet get me on right hand of Christ?
Usher: I think you missed the other big intangible Deak – prayer – don’t get me started! We could write about this one for years….